Sunday 17 February 2013

Prog Rock Noodlings

Next up on our journey through things that are vaguely inspiring or beautiful or just rather nice to keep this place from being totally, and boringly, about beer is the, frankly, awesome Forever Autumn from the War of the Worlds double album.


Would you like to know more?


It may be mainly prog-rock noodlings (credit where credit is due, I have Matt Simpson to thank for that description, and it does fit rather well) with very little in the way of artistic merit to most people but, to me, it filled me with a sense of wonder that something could be imagined so. There was also a deep sense of fear when I listened to it, party due to plot and partly due to the narration, about how it had been created. It evoked such flurries in my mind that I often found that I had to listen to it with my eyes closed. It was never something I found that I could work to or write to or anything like that. It was so powerful that I found that I had to literally shut off the outside world whilst it played and let the story take hold.

I have a CD player in the car now (yes, I am that high tech) and I know that playing this there would render me incapable of driving. In that sense then, in the creation of awe in me, this track in particular is a thing of great power and import. It speaks to my emotional state, insomuch as I have one, and has very much become how I view the world. Melancholy and sad but tinged with hope. My version has the full narration, and I think it may also explain why I liked Gotye's Somebody that I used to know so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment